Sunday 20 April 2008

Can dogs tell the time?

6am. That is the time I opened my eyes and stared blearily at the clock this morning. During the week the alarm is set for 6am, I get up shortly afterwards. However, at the weekends the alarm is off and I go to sleep dreaming of the long lay in I am going to have the next morning ... woo hoo, no alarm, just acres of warm duvet.

Dreaming is as far as I get now that we have young master Reef in residence.

We have not had Reef for very long, about 10 weeks. 10 weeks ago was the last time I had a lay in at the weekend. He has the most uncanny ability to wait for the time to hit 6am then he starts yawning and stretching. If that does not elicit a response he'll yawn a little louder and add a little whimper. If that fails too, his yawns become operatic (really hits the high notes) and he sits there moving from foot to foot so I can also hear the tapping of his claws on the floor and the shuffle of his butt.

At this point, Bodie joins in. When I peer from under the duvet they are usually sat like a couple of bookends just staring at the bed. If I happen to move at all, 5 minutes of frantic greeting, wiggling and stretching ensues. At this stage I am not allowed to retreat back under the duvet .. it is morning walk time.

Roll on the day I manage to wake up before Reef and launch myself at his sleeping self for a bit of revenge ... I just can't wait. May have to set my alarm for 5am next sunday just to throw his internal clock out. Snigger.

2 comments:

Steve said...

We have a similar situation with our most recent addition, a 10-month old Border Collie called Nell, although we're not in a motorohome (yet).

Every morning at 6am she lets us know that she needs to go outside. And then shortly after that she needs to be fed, of course.

I can't remember the last time I had a proper lie in.

Leigh said...

Hi Steve

Reef's best mate is a border collie called Bertie - the daft dog comes calling for him at the CL where we are staying. Whines and scratches at the vent in the door until I let him in!

When I wake up at 6am tomorrow I will be happy knowing I am not alone and that somewhere in the country Steve and Nell are heading out of the door too :)

Leigh