Wednesday 4 June 2008

Birthday boy, fresh food and other bits

It is Mr P' s birthday today ... only 4 years left now till the big 40. Strangely enough the last 2 of our male friends to hit 40 have suddenly upped sticks and emigrated, the first to New Zealand, the second to Australia, I am really looking forward to 2012! :)

My friends landed safely in Sydney, checked on their pooch who is in quarantine for 30 days and have now headed north to search for somewhere to stay until they can buy land/property.

I need to set myself up on skype in time for them getting a regular internet connection so we can talk over the internet. Can anyone recommend a good webcam for use with a laptop and 3G/HSDPA dongle? I think I will need to investigate quite thoroughly as I don't want to buy a really super high quality webcam/headset only to find out that my internet connection cannot keep up with the picture quality. I assume this would be an issue anyway. I'll keep you posted.

We have researched the best ways of selling all our bits. I am going to create an online album containing photo's of the cars/bikes and then place adverts (online and in one issue each of Volksworld, Autotrader and biketrader) referring buyers to the album. Personally I hate calling up someone on the strength of a tiny picture in a magazine to ask lots of questions re condition and I would rather be able to access lots of pictures of what is for sale. Hopefully this will stop lots of daft questions coming our way too! :) The surfboard, kayaks and psp are going on ebay.

We've also spend some time looking at smart cars online. From what we can tell some of them have slightly more space behind the seats than others. We would need one with maximum boot space else the dogs are going to look garfield like against the back window. I think it is time to get out there and physically look at some as not many dealers are forthcoming about boot measurements on the web.

Big news for us ..... our local farm shop has just opened for the season. Wahheeeyyyy! It is always a big event when we can stop buying most of our food at the big supermarkets and start buying it really fresh locally again. It saves loads of money as everytime we go to the supermarket we come back with at least £40 of crap we don't really need - it is a habit that I just cannot break. I see a bargain buy it and then end up binning it when it goes out of date as we didn't need it in the first place!

At our nearest farm shop there is veg, fruit, fresh herbs, lamb and beef - nearly all sourced from nearby farms. You can also pick your own strawberries, not that I would, I mean there are already punnets there in front of you when you arrive ... why would I feel the need to get on my hands and knees and get them myself? I'm not that much of a convert. There is no stress, no crowds, no junk food (ok they have ice cream and cake too but I am in denial) and we also get to walk the dogs into the bargain.

If you are up our way, pop in and see Hill Farm @ Chesterton, and you'll get a warm feeling about not aiding the big chain store to push out the little local suppliers! Unfortunately I took a photo when the shop was shut ... it is open now ... honest!

If you can't get here, find out where your own local farm shop is, I promise the food tastes so much better as it is picked fresh that day (or the day before), has very few road miles on it. Even Mr P the extremely fussy eater does not have a bad word to say.

We spent the today relaxing - both having taken the day off work. Mr P polished the VW in preparation for the pictures to be taken and he also replaced all the petrol pipes. I went up town and picked up some dog bones, henna and a starbucks latte - I am such an addict. Although I do promise that if the farm shop had an espresso machine I would be right in there! haha.


Both Bodie and Reef were chilled today and lay outside of the van. I managed to snap a picture of them looking like they are joined at the hip. In reality they both just did not want to relinquish any space to the other on the wee mat they were laying on on the gravel. It is quite a feat getting good pictures of them as they are both usually see the camera and run. This time I fooled them and used my phone. I also got a picture of Reef the frog tucking into to a new bone.

I'm going to stop rambling now .... till the next time :)

No comments: